We’ve seen sports bring communities together over the last week and the reaction to LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling. It doesn’t take a controversy to tap into a sense of community and connection. Sports does that every day. Use that to your advantage at work this week.
Here are a few of the topics making news.
- NFL Draft
- Kevin Durant
- Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- California Chrome
- Denny Hamlin
Why They’re Making News:
- After months of talk about the NFL Draft, it’s finally here. The first round starts Thursday. The Houston Texans have the No. 1 overall pick. Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is predicted to be the first player taken, but there’s also a question as to if Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel could be taken at No. 1.
- In the NBA, Kevin Durant is expected to be named league MVP on Tuesday. It’s not a surprise after he averaged 32 points a game on 50 percent shooting. It will be the first MVP award for Durant and breaks LeBron James’ streak of back-to-back awards.
- In boxing, Floyd Mayweather Jr. remained unbeaten in his career defeating Marcos Maidana in a majority decision. The fight was one of the toughest and most exciting of Mayweather’s career.
- In horseracing, California Chrome won the Kentucky Derby Saturday. California Chrome was favored heading into the race and will likely be favored heading into The Preakness in two weeks. Fans will watch to see if California Chrome can make a run at the Triple Crown.
- In NASCAR, Denny Hamlin wins at Talladega. It’s significant for Hamlin because his previous two wins this year were exhibition races that didn’t yield points in the Chase standings.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the sideline reporter for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks. She also works on the television broadcasts for the Seattle Mariners. Jen is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business.. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.