For sports fans this isn’t just a week to overindulge on turkey, stuffing and pie. It’s a week to overindulge while watching football. It’s a football tradition that dates back to 1876 when Yale and Princeton starting scheduling a Thanksgiving matchup.
In the NFL the Detroit Lions have played on Thanksgiving every year since 1945. The Dallas Cowboys have played every Thanksgiving since 1966. So if you’re planning to get together with family and friends, there’s a good chance you’ll end up watching either the Lions or the Cowboys this week. It’s where we start in this week’s hot topics.
NFL – This year Detroit hosts Houston, Dallas hosts Washington and New England plays against the NY Jets in the nightcap. Dallas and Houston are both coming off overtime wins, but Dallas didn’t look very good doing it. There’s talk that their head coach is on the hot seat and it seems there’s always persistent questions about quarterback Tony Romo.
- Are the Cowboys a good enough team to make a playoff run, or is there too much drama in Dallas?
- Which Thanksgiving matchup are you looking forward to most?
College Football – Notre Dame moves up to #1 in the BCS rankings and Alabama is #2 after previous #1 Kansas State and previous #2 Oregon lost Saturday. It’s the first time since 2007 that both #1 and #2 have lost on the same day. The shakeup in the polls means that Alabama could be playing for a national title just a week after they thought those hopes were gone.
- It’s the first time Notre Dame has ever been ranked #1 in the BCS standings and it’s a significant accomplishment for the program that has seen some down years recently. How do you think the Irish will handle the pressure?
- What do you think about how the polls are shaping up? Do you want to see Notre Dame and Alabama play for the national title?
NBA – The New York Knicks were the last unbeaten team in the NBA to fall. They won 6 straight games before losing to Memphis last Friday. The Knicks have won even without having one of their key players, Amar’e Stoudemire, available and in the lineup.
- Is this team for real? Or is the hot start just a mirage?
- What happens with Stoudemire returns? Do you mess with the chemistry of the team and insert him back into the starting lineup?
NASCAR – We’ve been following the Sprint Cup race here the last few weeks and there’s finally a champion. Brad Keselowski won his first ever Sprint Cup Title by 39 points over Clint Bowyer. Jimmie Johnson finished 3rd. Keselowski finished 15th in the final race of the season Sunday.
- Keselowski has traditionally been considered an underdog most of his career. Do you appreciate an underdog who wins more than the favorite?
- How do you think this changes his status and reputation in the sport?
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, helps business professionals understand the sports conversations that happen every day at work. Jen’s practical approach helps professionals join in, sound intelligent, and understand how to leverage sports conversation in business. Her conversation strategy comes from her 12 years of experience as a sports broadcaster. Jen is available to speak for keynotes, presentations and workshops. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and read more at http://talksportytome.com