For most of us, it’s back to work today after the holiday weekend. That means lots of conversations with coworkers about how they spent the long weekend. But when you get tired of that, or just want a change of pace, try the following sports topics.
Names in the news:
- San Antonio Spurs
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Rafael Nadal
- Tony Kanaan
- Brittney Griner
Why they’re in the news:
- In the NBA, the San Antonio Spurs are heading to the NBA finals after sweeping Memphis in the Western Conference Finals. Tony Parker scored 37 points in Game 4 Monday night. The Spurs will play the winner of the Indiana Pacers/Miami Heat series.
- In the NHL, the Chicago Blackhawks fought off elimination Monday night against the Detroit Red Wings. Chicago scored three goals in the final period to force a Game 7 against Detroit. The winner of the game moves on to play the winner of the San Jose Sharks/Los Angeles Kings matchup. That series will be decided in a Game 7 as well. The winners will play of for the Stanley Cup.
- The French Open is underway and defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal is back on the court after missing 7 months recovering from a knee injury. He nearly lost in his first round matchup, but recovered for the win. Maria Sharapova is the defending women’s champion, but Serena Williams is the top seeded woman and is playing well since returning to the top spot in women’s tennis.
- Tony Kanaan won the Indianapolis 500 Sunday. It was his first win in 12 tries at the race. The race featured a record 68 lead changes – doubling the previous record set last year.
- Brittney Griner made her WNBA debut Monday night. She scored 17 points and threw down two fourth-quarter dunks. Griner was the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA draft about a month ago.
She is a 13-year sports broadcasting veteran and currently works as a reporter for the regional sports network ROOT Sports NW out of Seattle and on the Seattle Seahawks radio broadcast as their sideline reporter. She founded her company Talk Sporty to Me in 2009 and is available for keynotes, presentations and workshops. Contact her at: Jen@TalkSportytoMe.com