Back to work after a long holiday weekend? Talk about more than just the fireworks shows and the barbeques. Make sure your conversation has legs and follow up opportunities. You do that by talking sports at work. Unlike fireworks shows and barbeques, sports news comes around every day. Your ability to join the conversation gives you more opportunities to build rapport with your colleagues.
The notes below should help you out.
Names in the news:
- Dwight Howard
- Brad Stevens
- Yasiel Puig
- Andy Murray
- Marion Bartoli
Why they’re in the news:
- Dwight Howard was a free agent at the end of the NBA season. He talked to a handful of teams before deciding to join the Houston Rockets. Howard played for the LA Lakers last season.
- 36-year-old Brad Stevens was named the Boston Celtics head coach over the weekend. Stevens made a name for himself as the head coach of Butler University. This is his first NBA coaching job. He takes over a Celtics team that is missing Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Former head coach Doc Rivers took a position with the LA Clippers.
- Rookie baseball sensation Yasiel Puig, was not among the players named to the All Star game. Many wonder if he is among the biggest snubs. Puig is currently hitting .420 for the Dodgers.
- Andy Murray won Wimbledon Sunday, becoming the first British man to win the tournament since 1936. Second-ranked Murray beat top ranked Novak Djokovic for the title.
- On the women’s side at Wimbledon, Marion Bartoli beat Sabine Lisicki for the first Grand Slam title of her career. It was the 47th major event for Bartoli, making her the first player in the Open era to win her first major so late in her career.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.