If you’re among the group that gets it or wants to be on the inside, keep reading for a few of the topics making sports headlines this week. If not, go find another effective small talk topic that builds relationships.
- Peyton Manning
- Wichita State
- Tony Parker
- Rory McIlroy
Why They’re Making News:
- Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will have his neck examined by doctors Monday. It’s expected to be a “routine” check up, but Peyton missed all of the 2011 season after undergoing four neck surgeries. Manning has said he wants to continue playing, provided the tests show it’s safe to continue.
- In college basketball the Wichita State Shockers finished the regular season with a perfect 31-0 record. They are the first team since 2004 to go unbeaten heading into the post season. They’re the only unbeaten team in the country, but do they deserve at No. 1 seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. It’s a debate for fans over the next two weeks.
- In the NBA, guard Tony Parker returned to the San Antonio Spurs lineup Sunday after missing the last six games with a series of lower body injuries. Parker helped propel the Spurs to a win against Dallas. San Antonio is a game and a half back of Oklahoma City in the Western Conference standings.
- Golfer Rory McIlroy is making headlines Monday, but it’s not the way he would have hoped. McIlroy was in a strong position to win the Honda Classic over the weekend, but fell apart on the back 9 Sunday. He managed to force a four-man playoff, but it was Russell Henley who claimed the win.
- The Iditarod is underway in Alaska. The world’s top sled dogs will make a 1,120-mile trek from Anchorage to Nome. While not the biggest news in sports, it’s a fun sidebar conversation that comes up once a year.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the sideline reporter for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks. She also works on the television broadcasts for the Seattle Mariners. Jen is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business.. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.