Did you happen to see this comment from New England quarterback Tom Brady last week?
“The center-quarterback relationship is a pretty special one. I’ve got my hands on their butts probably more than their wives so it’s a pretty unique trust and relationship you have.”
Interesting and true.
Trust and relationships are important in any career field not just on a football field. Sports conversations can help you develop both without getting as close as Tom Brady gets to his coworkers.
Try using these topics this week.
- Florida State
- Oakland A’s
- Derrick Rose
- Jeff Gordon
- Rafael Nadal
Why They’re Making News:
- We’re about a week away from the start of the college football season and defending national champion Florida State is ranked No. 1 in the AP preseason poll. Alabama and Oregon are ranked second and third.
- There’s about six weeks remaining in the baseball regular season and it’s time to start looking at the playoff races. The Oakland A’s were one of the hottest teams in baseball all season, but have won just 7 of 17 games since the trade deadline. They’re tied atop the AL West standings with Anaheim and fighting off a surging Seattle team.
- In the NBA, Team USA routed Brazil in an exhibition game over the weekend in Chicago, but the biggest story of the game was Derrick Rose. It was the first time he played on his home court since a knee injury last November. Rose is a point guard for the Chicago Bulls. He has played just 10 games the last two years because of injuries.
- In NASCAR, Jeff Gordon won his third race of the year Sunday. He leads in the driver standings with 3 races left until the field is set for the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
- In tennis, defending US Open champion Rafael Nadal announced that he will not play in the US Open next week due to a wrist injury. The 14-time Grand Slam champion won the French Open earlier this year but hasn’t played much since.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the sideline reporter for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks. She also works on the television broadcasts for the Seattle Mariners. Jen is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.