Slight change in the format this morning because I’m running out to meetings all day.
You can bet that I’ll use the Seahawks overtime win against Houston as a conversation starter around Seattle this morning because that’s what football fans are talking about. If the folks in your circle aren’t talking Seahawks perhaps they’re talking about one of these 6 topics making sports headlines.
You don’t have to know much about any of these topics just use your conversation skills and curiosity to engage for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. That’s all the time it takes to build rapport and set the tone for your interactions.
- Peyton Manning (he throws 4 more touchdowns in win against Philadelphia)
- Lane Kiffin (fired as head football coach of USC)
- Georgia Bulldogs (moved up to #6 in college football polls after beating LSU)
- Henderson Alverez (threw crazy no-hitter for Miami Marlins Sunday)
- Baseball playoffs (start with wild-card tiebreaker Monday)
- NHL Season Openers (regular season opens Tuesday)
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.