Conversations create opportunities.
Every conversation gives you a chance to build a relationship, strengthen rapport, reflect your values and get business done. Even the conversations you think don’t matter, like sports talk at work, have the potential to do all those things.
Don’t blow off the water cooler talk about sports. Join in. Here are 5 names making news this week. Keep these in your back pocket and use them to either strike up a conversation or follow along with a conversation taking place.
- Peyton Manning
- Josh Freeman
- Ohio State
- Alex Rodriguez
- Derek Rose
Why They’re Making News:
- It seems that Peyton Manning makes it into the headlines every week and there’s a good reason why. Sunday he threw for 4 more touchdowns as the Broncos beat Tony Romo and the Cowboys in a wild finish. Romo threw for 506 yards and still lost after throwing an interception late in the game. This week Manning faces the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Broncos are a 28 point favorite – the largest in NFL history.
- Former Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman is expected to sign with the Minnesota Vikings. Freeman was the Buccaneers starter at the beginning of the season and was released last week after being benched and running into disagreements with the coaching staff. The move seems to indicate the Vikings are ready to make a change with their starting quarterback.
- The Ohio State Buckeyes remain at #4 in the polls after beating Northwestern Saturday. The win moves them to 6-0 on the season, making Ohio State the first bowl eligible team in all of college football.
- While most baseball fans would prefer to focus on the playoff games underway, Alex Rodriguez is back in the news. He filed a lawsuit last week alleging that Major League Baseball, Commissioner Bud Selig and the New York Yankees are trying to destroy his reputation and career. Rodriguez is fighting a 211 game suspension related to the use of performance enhancing drugs.
- The NBA regular season begins in a couple weeks, but all eyes were on Chicago Bulls guard Derek Rose Saturday night. Rose returned to the court for the first time after undergoing surgery for a torn ACL 17 months ago. He turned in a solid performance and did not feel any soreness the following day.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.