This time of year always brings small talk of what you’re doing for the holidays. I’m certainly not opposed to that conversation, but when you’re ready for an alternative, consider sports.
There’s a number of on-going story lines that makes it easy to appeal to a large group of people with enough follow-up opportunities to keep the conversation interesting.
Here are headlines making news this week.
- Peyton Manning
- Jonathan Martin
- Baylor Bears
- Kobe Byrant
- Jimmie Johnson
Why They’re Making News:
- The Kansas City Chiefs suffered their first loss of the season Sunday night at the hands of Peyton Manning and the Broncos. The Chiefs entered the game as the only unbeaten team in the NFL. Denver and Kansas City are now tied in their division with a 9-1 record. They will play each other again in two weeks.
- Miami Dolphins lineman Jonathan Martin spoke with investigator last week regarding the workplace conduct within the Dolphins locker room. Martin left the team several weeks ago after he said he was bullied by teammates. Investigators will now conduct a number of interviews within the organization this week.
- In the BCS rankings Alabama and Florida State maintain their hold on the top spots, but it’s the Baylor Bears making news at #4. Baylor moves up in the standings as a result of Stanford’s loss to USC on Saturday. The Bears could leap #3 Ohio State with a win this week against Oklahoma State.
- Kobe Bryant returned to practice for the LA Lakers for the first time since tearing his Achilles tendon seven months ago. There is no timetable for his return to a game, but the 4-7 Lakers are hoping it’s sooner rather than later.
- Jimmie Johnson finished ninth in the final NASCAR race of the year, but it was enough to clinch his sixth Sprint Cup Championship. Only legendary drivers Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt won more, each had seven.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.