Be honest, you’re not quite ready to get back to the grind this week. Even if you went into the office last week, this week feels different. I know you have work to do, but if you want to ease into things a bit, strike up a sports conversation with your coworkers.
It’s not procrastinating. It’s quite the opposite if you think about the relationship building opportunities in every conversation. You probably haven’t been around your coworkers very much over the last couple weeks and spending a few minutes chit-chatting re-establishes rapport and connections that promote teamwork.
So go ahead, have a few more conversations today and use these topics to get started.
- Jameis Winston
- Colin Kaepernick
- Mike Munchak
- Charlie Strong
- Chris Paul
Why They’re Making News:
- Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston celebrates his 20th birthday Monday and hopes the festivities include a BCS Title win. Florida State plays Auburn in the BCS Title game. Unbeaten Florida State beat opponents by an average of 42 points this season.
- San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick is getting a lot of credit for the 49ers Wild Card playoff win against Green Bay on Sunday. Kaepernick used his legs to run for key first downs in a game that saw temperatures hit -4 degrees. The 49ers will play at Carolina this week.
- The Tennessee Titans fired head coach Mike Munchak on Saturday. He is the 7th NFL coach to lose his job this season. Munchak is now considered a candidate to coach at his alma mater Penn State.
- In other college football news, the University of Texas hired Charlie Strong as it’s new head coach. Strong replaces Mack Brown who stepped down after 16 seasons at Texas. Strong has spent the last four seasons at Louisville.
- In the NBA, LA Clippers guard Chris Paul will not need surgery on his separated shoulder. Paul was injured Friday night and is expected to miss six weeks making him a non-factor in a key stretch of games for the Clippers that could have a significant impact on playoff seeding.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.