I spent the weekend in New York with the Seahawks. Due to the amount of cold weather gear I packed, I was limited on how many articles of clothing I could fit into my suitcase. As a result, I walked through the streets on New York City wearing a Seahawks puffy coat. I wouldn’t normally do that in a visiting city, but it was a good reminder to me of the sense of community created by cheering for the NFL.
I didn’t run into any hostile Giants or Jets fans, instead it was more of a shared camaraderie when other NFL fans noticed the logo on my jacket. That helps to highlight why being a sports fan can be such a benefit in business. Sports creates connections across the country, between team rivalries and gives strangers a reason to talk.
Sports is a powerful relationship building tool, which is why you should consider using this topics in conversations this week at work.
- Tony Romo
- Kirk Cousins
- Jameis Winston
- Mack Brown
- Portland Trailblazers
Why They’re Making News:
- Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys looked like they were going to cruise to a win against Green Bay, until Romo threw two interceptions in the final three minutes of the game. The Cowboys lost but still control their own destiny in the playoff hunt. It seems there are fewer and fewer fans that consider Romo an elite quarterback in the NFL.
- The Washington Redskins decided to sit starting quarterback Robert Griffin III for the rest of the season to allow him to get healthy and have a full off-season. Kirk Cousins took over at quarterback on Sunday and nearly led the Redskins to a win against Atlanta.
- Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston took home the Heisman trophy Saturday night. The award is given to the best player in the country. The freshman is the youngest Heisman winner in college football history. Winston won by a large margin despite recent legal trouble. Florida State will play Auburn for the BCS title in January.
- After 16 years at the University of Texas, head coach Mack Brown will resign following the Longhorns bowl game. Brown’s job status had been in question for the last week and speculation on his resignation or firing had started in the middle of the season. Texas plays Oregon in the Alamo Bowl. The big question in Texas – who will take over?
- The Portland Trailblazers hit 21 three-pointers Saturday night to set a franchise record. That hot shooting led Portland to a 34-point win against Philadelphia. The Blazers join the Indiana Pacers as the only two teams with 20 wins in the NBA.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.