“Did you see the game last night?”
I’ve been asked this question at least a dozen times this morning and my answer every time is “No, I was at a concert last night, but I saw the highlights. It looked incredible.”
The ‘game’ in question is the Denver-New England game that ended in a Patriots win following a furious comeback from Tom Brady. It’s the hottest topic in sports this morning, but it’s not necessary to know every detail of the game. In my case, the people asking me about the game used it more as a greeting, a way to say hello and ease into other conversation.
It will work the same way for you today, the rest of this week, and anytime someone asks you about a big game.
With traditional NFL games being played on Thanksgiving this week, our storylines will lean toward football.
- Tom Brady
- Matt McGloin
- Matt Flynn
- Gus Malzahn
- Derek Rose
Why They’re Making News:
- Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady helped New England rally from a 24-point deficit to beat Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos Sunday night. It was a matchup of two super star quarterbacks who both struggled with difficult weather conditions. Brady has won 10 of the 14 matchups against Manning.
- Don’t recognize the name Matt McGloin? Most football fans weren’t familiar until a couple weeks ago. He’s now the starting quarterback for the Oakland Raiders. The undrafted rookie will make his third start Thursday against Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys.
- The tradition of Dallas and Detroit hosting Thanksgiving games goes back several decades. Detroit this year hosts the Green Bay Packers. Quarterback Matt Flynn helped rally the Packers on Sunday against Minnesota. The game ended in a rare tie. It’s likely Flynn will start Thursday.
- In college football, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is getting his team ready for one of their biggest games of the year. Auburn moved up to 4th in the BCS rankings this week and they’ve got a chance to climb even higher if they can beat top ranked Alabama on Saturday. It’s an incredible turnaround for Auburn, considering the team didn’t win a conference game last season.
- One NBA note this week, Chicago Bulls guard Derek Rose is out of the rest of the season after tearing the meniscus in his knee. You might remember that Rose missed all of last season after undergoing surgery on the other knee last season. This is a less serious injury, but still a season ender.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.