The sports topics making news this week give you an easy entry point into small talk conversation with your coworkers.
You don’t have to be a huge sports fan to join the conversation but you do need to understand that sports fans like to talk about games, players and headlines making news. If you’re looking to connect with colleagues and coworkers try the following names or headlines.
Lots of baseball in the news and NFL training camp news this week.
- Derek Jeter
- Alex Rodriguez
- Albert Pujols
- Trade Deadline
- Percy Harvin
- Hall of Fame Game
- Yankees captain Derek Jeter has been injured most of the season. He returned to the Yankees lineup Sunday and belted a home run on the first pitch he saw. It was the Yankees first home run since returning from the All Star break 10 days earlier.
- Alex Rodriguez hasn’t played for the Yankees all year and he could be facing a lengthy suspension from baseball. A-Rod has been linked to the Biogenesis scandal and is suspected of taking performance-enhancing drugs. There are rumors he could be facing a lifetime ban from the sport.
- Albert Pujols of the Angels was placed on the DL over the weekend and could miss the remainder of the season with a foot injury. Pujols is one of the highest paid players in baseball. The Angels still owe Pujols $212 million over the next 8 years.
- The Major League Baseball trade deadline is Wednesday. Look for contending teams to add a player for a playoff push and for teams already out of contention to trade away some of their more valuable players in an attempt to look to the future.
- Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin will get a second opinion on his injured hip Tuesday in New York. Harvin could be facing surgery just months after signing a 5-year contract with the Seahawks that included $25.5 million in guaranteed money. Harvin is just one of the big injuries across NFL Training Camps. Every team is now back on the practice field.
- The Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys will play in the NFL’s Hall of Fame Game next Sunday August 4th. It’s the first NFL preseason game of the year and a sign that the season is just around the corner.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.