Tired of talking about the same thing with your coworkers? Do you sleep walk through the usual greetings of: “How are you?” “Just fine, how are you?”
Spice it up this week and actually learn something from your coworkers and about your coworkers with a sports conversation. Try using one of the following big story lines to strike up a conversation and see where it goes. It doesn’t have to stay on sports. A conversation about Mariano Rivera could involve talk of New York City, retirement, the good ol’ days or any number of things. Try it out and see how the lines of communication open.
- Mariano Rivera
- LeBron James
- Jason Dufner
- Johnny Manziel
- NFL Training Camps
- Yankees closer Mariano Rivera blew three straight saves over the weekend. It’s the first time that’s happened in his career. Rivera has already announced that he will retire at the end of the season but many wonder what the recent stretch of games are a precursor to more trouble for the 42-year old closer. As an ‘oh, but the way’ note, Alex Rodriguez hit his first homer of the season Sunday.
- Miami Heat forward LeBron James is considering a run at presidency – for the NBA Players Association. James says the union is not in a good place and that his voice could be huge. The big question surround in James is not his ability to do the job but the time it would take to do the job.
- Jason Dufner won the first major of his career Sunday at the PGA Championship. The low key Dufner played a solid final round to beat out Jim Furyk. That has led to a number of people “Dufnering” a pose that became popular after a picture posted on twitter last year. Tiger Woods was never in contention and hasn’t won a major since 2008.
- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is still in the news as the NCAA investigates allegations that he signed autographs in exchange for money something that’s prohibited for college athletes. The NCAA is no longer selling athlete jerseys on its website and several other schools have looked into whether their star athletes have been involved in signing for money.
- NFL Training Camps continue this week. Every team has now played one preseason game. Several injuries around the league are forcing teams to make moves and change personnel. We’re about two weeks away from the first cut down date when teams must trim their roster to 75.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.